Friday 6 June 2008

Sharon Stone Apologizes For Chinese Comments

Sharon Stone released a statement on Thursday (May 29) apologizing for her comments regarding the recent Chinese earthquake, calling her statements "inappropriate" and saying that she's "deeply sorry".

Stone, 50, made the comments about the earthquake – which has killed tens of thousands of people, and left more than 5 million homeless – on Thursday during a Cannes Film Festival red-carpet interview with Hong Kong's Cable Entertainment News.

"I'm not happy about the way the Chinese are treating the Tibetans, because I don't think anyone should be unkind to anyone else," Stone said.

"And then this earthquake and all this stuff happened, and then I thought, is that karma? When you're not nice that the bad things happen to you?"

However, a fresh statement released by the actress today said, "Due to my inappropriate words and acts during the interview, I feel deeply sorry and sad about hurting Chinese people. I am willing to take part in the relief work of China's earthquake, and wholly devote myself to helping affected Chinese people."

Qin Gang, the Foreign Ministry spokesman, accepted Stone's apology, saying, "We hope that as an actress she should contribute to our two peoples' mutual trust, understanding and friendship."

NEXT: Shirley Manson Joining Terminator TV Show

 

Photo courtesy Warner Bros.